Friday, October 4, 2013

Elocution

My goodness. I feel strange.
For the last few days I have been practising to speak more clearly. People have long been complaining that I am hard to understand when I am doing panel talks, teaching and workshopping, so I figured it's time to work it out.
I've been walking around practising tongue-twisters, and reading out loud to myself every evening. I allowed my voice to drop down to where it used to be when I lived in Germany - speaking English raised my pitch over the years for some reason or other.
At first, it was great fun. It's great when people can actually hear what I'm saying. But today I realised that somehow I have turned from a person who sounds a bit silly but is overall quite serious into someone who sounds serious but feels silly. - This absolutely won't do. It's entirely the wrong way around.
I think it will take me a while to adjust and balance things out. I hope people will be patient while I sound this peculiar... and I'm glad I don't have any talks booked this month!

2 comments:

peter bangs said...

Maybe they just need to get the wax out of their ears. I listened to you on a download from mitte over the tiny speaker on my rubbish blackberry andhad no problems.

Viviane Schwarz said...

I think it's a good thing to work on... a bit less fiercely than I have done, though. This morning I woke up with a full Eeyore-voice.