Friday, June 28, 2013

TINY PENCIL interview

Tiny Pencil is a great new magazine featuring pencil-made art, and I'll have a piece in the next issue.
They interviewed me for their website...

Hi there! Thanks for taking the time to talk to us about your work. Could you tell us a bit about yourself and what you do?I am a children’s book maker. I write and illustrate them, and I try to invent new ways of using the format to encourage children to be creative, to entertain them and to help them overcome troubles and to stay curious, inventive and be excellent to one another.
 littlerat
Tell us about your creative process, from the initial idea to the finished piece.I have a mental bucket of ideas for books that I think should exist – books that are in some way needed or would simply be brilliant. Now and then one surfaces, I realise what to make of it, and I start planning a structure for the book. When that is in place, I fill it with characters and a story. I make dummy books physically and very roughly using a lot of invisible scotch tape, cutting and tearing and sticking and scribbling. Then I refine them until they become publishable books.
...read the rest on the Tiny Pencil blog! 

No comments: