Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Run, Write, Tidy.

Hey!
Does that sound like your New Year Resolutions at all?
If it does, maybe you'd like some Practical Recommendations.

RUN
I read this column by Charlie Brooker some time ago, describing his horror on using a running app that actually worked and made him run. Like probably everyone else who read it I got the app. And now I'm running. Go figure.
"Get Running" is lovely. A friendly voice tells you when to run and when to stop running. It cheers you on a little bit, but not too much. You can listen to music at the same time. It's not killed me yet. I'm running.

WRITE
I've read a good few books on how to write. Novel-writing isn't my main job (yet!) so I have to squeeze it around my illustration work, and I find it hard to not lose track.
I came across a book that really feels right, giving some sound advice on how to get a lot written, have fun, and not bullshit yourself.
It's the ambitiously titled "2000 to 10.000" by Rachel Aaron. For me, a more accurate title would be "Some Words to 2K". But it is good advice. Check it out.

TIDY
If you feel overwhelmed by the task of decluttering your life, reading "Discardia" by Dinah Sanders is a pretty good starting point. It's very practical. It will help you to make and defend an island of calm order and work your way outwards... and it's fun.

I have no affiliation with any of the above stuff, just found it useful.
There you go! Have a nice year!

1 comment:

warriorgrrl said...

Thank you Viv! Have just ordered "Discardia" - just over £2 on Kindle, yay! - and am enacting one of my resolutions, namely making sure I comment when I read a blog post I enjoy, which is a LOT.

Happy New Year to you! X