Monday, January 14, 2013

Corel Painter joined the team

Today I tried out some digital painting programs because Photoshop really isn't made to paint in, and every so often I need to add to some real-world art digitally.
I ended up realising that Corel Paint is the way to go - you can import full layered PSD files to work with. So here is my first attempt - pretty clumsy. I just clicked on anything that looked interesting and scrubbed it on the screen. Note the stray frizz on the side of the scarf where I accidentally used a weird huge bristly dry brush.
The dog is real-life watercolour, the hat stand is inked in Photoshop, the hats and scarf are Corel Painter.
I'm actually quite impressed.

I'll tidy this and add some more scanned bits and bobs before it's allowed into the book.

4 comments:

Celia Hart said...

Interesting. I use Photoshop and Illustrator for my digital stuff, but have been trying out 3 iPad apps - Paper53, Brushes and Procreate.
Are you using a stylus? Wacom tablet/pen?

Viviane Schwarz said...

I'm using a cintiq. I sometimes use the ipad, too, with an Adonit stylus, but I am not great at digital painting, it comes out quite clumsy. I'll have to put in some practise.
I have used the ipad to make roughs (sketchbookPro) and sometimes little bits and bobs to incorporate into artwork - I just made an endpaper pattern in iOrnament that I couldn't have tesselated myself.

Viviane Schwarz said...

I do a lot of digital inking and colouring in Photoshop, the inking is quite annoying but the colouring works well. Manga Studio works better for inking. Most of my books are inked by hand and coloured digitally, except the cat books, they are all analogue... Except this latest one. The reasoning was to make it look "achievable" and encourage children to do craft projects themselves, but digital tools are quite available now so I feel ok about allowing them into the mix now.

Celia Hart said...

I can recommend the Alupen stylus for iPad.
I'll have look at iOrnament.
xx