Thursday, August 30, 2012

Perdido Street Station

Sometimes I make my own covers for books I enjoyed reading - today: Perdido Street Station by China Miéville. I happily disappeared into the weird world it presented for a few days. It's fun, upsetting, ambitious, political, with great characters and generally made me happy.
While I was reading I imagined I'd make a cover that shows all the creatures mentioned... or maybe just the giant inter-dimensional spider... but then I came to the scene with this guy strapping a dog to his back and flying off into the sky to do battle, and that was that.
I probably got it wrong in some way. Maybe he should be wearing a tie, or the dog isn't actually a doberman. Never mind, I can always glue corrections over the top.
Anyway, peeling the top layer off paperbacks and gluing on your own cover: much recommended, although you can't resell them like that.



And yes, it was an article about Miéville in the Guardian that started me thinking about remixing novels.

No comments: