Thursday, December 15, 2011

Working at home

I'm drawing rats. The dinner table is covered in rat drawings. It's the most fun I've had drawing a book. My process is a bit shocking, I just draw the whole page freehand without a rough, then scan it and chop and change it until it fits on the page nicely, then in the end I'll redraw all the bits that don't fit.
As usual, this means scrappy, crinkled and scribbly originals that will give the fear to galleries. But the books looks spontaneous and fun for it, and I care more about that than about neat original artwork.
I love my job.

Yesterday we had a Ghibli day, some friends visited and we projected four Studio Ghibli features in a row. The house feels friendlier for it.

Back to drawing! Tonight I'll be missing another exciting gathering of illustrators in the city because I really want to stay home and bake triple chocolate cookies.

2 comments:

Stephanie Roth Sisson said...

That's always the challenge- spontaneity and life and freshness. You are a brave woman going for it in now shot like that- and I think you are one of the very few people who can pull that off! xo

Candice Hartsough McDonald said...

I'm so glad that for some reason I am reading your older posts, and read this entry. I somehow missed it the first time even though I follow your blog. Drawing and chopping up and repositioning is something that I forget exists, and may be just the ticket to end my artist-block on the book I need to be starting. Thank you!