Saturday, November 19, 2011

It's a peaceful Saturday. I did some novel writing on the train, and the end is in sight, it really is... I'll do some more in a minute.
Most of the day I spent playing with a borrowed ipad. I haven't really liked them so far, but it seems like it's the platform of choice at the moment for interactive literature and art, so I ought to get one to keep track of things. Personally, I'd much prefer an android tablet, but all the big cutting edge apps are still for the ipad.

So far...

  • I worked out how to synch my Scrivener data over to it, so I could actually work on my novel without lugging my work computer around. That's excellent.
  • It's easy to locally save reference pictures off the web. Yay! That'll be incredibly useful, since my laptop takes too much space on my drawing desk, and is unwieldy.
  • I'm not very excited by any of the art apps I've seen so far, but then I haven't seen many because I don't want to buy them on this borrowed pad.
  • I really don't fancy drawing or painting on the thing.
  • Surprisingly the first really exciting thing I stumbled across was a typewriter app. It was wonderful to use, reminded me of my first novel writing attempts... I'll be enjoying sending people typewritten email jpgs. Heh.
  • The keyboard is awful. But then a bluetooth keyboard will work with it. Fair enough.
I'm almost convinced of the usefulness. I'll be completely convinced once I start making my own apps.
Apparently one of Tove Jansson's classic picture books is being turned into a tablet app. I'm generally against turning existing novelty books into apps (what's the point exactly) but I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll do.


3 comments:

Emma Collins Ba (Hons) said...

Hello!

I'm sorry for being such a nag :/ but I was just wondering if you could give me some advice on writing a story. I've written one already called Dirty Dog and I sent it to walker but they thought it needed to be stronger...hmm.

Thankyou! (again sorry for being a pain)and the Witches is one of my favourites too...and my mum used to read the BFG to me when I was little!

Viviane Schwarz said...

Yep, send it, I'll have a look :)

Emma Collins Ba (Hons) said...

I've sent it in an email.

Thankyou so much! You're a star!!!