Monday, July 25, 2011

Digital Doodling

I'm doodling digitally today... Here's a cross inky cat.
I've been moody due to the horrible news dripping in (especially from Norway) and sleeping badly, this is a good distraction.
All's well otherwise. I met David Lucas for a half-pint and a chat, which was lovely (I don't get to talk to writers often enough somehow) and or a change it was sunny. It's been raining so much lately that I keep forgetting it's technically summer now.
On Sunday I helped run a game of Citydash for Fire Hazard, in aid of MIND (we raised a good bit of money).

I do think that Sleepwalkers really is pretty much finished now, it's really just very slight tinkering left to be done... so it's time to get properly immersed into the new book now.
I wonder if I will use some digital brushes in it? I was going to restrict myself to real materials for the linework, as usual, but... I just MIGHT smuggle in some digital characters.

3 comments:

Peanutbutter_Eric said...

Hello again!

I'm currently working on a self-promotional pack and was wondering if you can recommend any good packs you've seen in passing? What did you create for yours?

Thankyou kindly :)

Viviane Schwarz said...

Packs of Postcards seem to be the standard these days, they've become cheaper to print (moo.com is good).

I used to print themed sheets with several illustrations on them (black and white work, style one, style two etc) that I put together to suit the work I was hoping to get, and according to what the publisher might have indicated they were looking for (this works well for characters and vignettes, not so great for detailed squared-off work I guess).

I've seen my students make tiny badges of some of their artwork to add to their packs (not too many!) which struck me as clever. Normally pinned onto a pretty piece of card with the weblink printed on.

Any printed thing that someone at a publisher's might want to keep on their pinboard/desk is good as long as it directly relates to your work.

Wishing you Success :)

Peanutbutter_Eric said...

Ooh thankyou very much! I shall have a go at all those things and see which works best. Thinking of concertina books too with a silly story on!

Thankyou again :D