Friday, May 7, 2010

Video Interview


... for your enjoyment, me answering questions about "There are Cats in this Book", filmed by CILIP.



You know I'm thinking hard when I'm talking slowly and rolling off the chair sideways...
Seeing this also triggered a teenage memory, myself talking to a boy in the pub and him suddenly shouting "Why do you always have to do that thing with your hands when you're talking! Why! No one's interested!" and I was wondering: what thing? And only now I suddenly realised: Oh THAT thing! I didn't know I was doing that. Yes that does look quite strange, doesn't it. Like they are my personal assistants rather than actual body parts. Heh.

The last question is funniest I think, the advice part is a whole load of worthy waffling as usual and seems to boil down to "go buy a paintbrush", which is not what I actually meant to say... or did I? Actually, that's quite good advice, thinking about it.

7 comments:

John Peacock said...

Sounds more like a boy with judgementalism issues rather than a Viv with gesture issues, but never mind.

I really enjoyed the videos, BTW, thanks. I thought it was very good advice - whenever anyone gave me advice, it was always more a projection of what they imagined ought to rather than anything directly related to reality. In the end all we can do is respond to our materials, yes.

Viviane Schwarz said...

Oh good! That's what I meant... Seeking out materials (and reference and useful experiences) and responding to them is a good start for creative expression I think. Stops one from copying without understanding as well, to some extent.

Ach, well... that boy was always cross with everything I did, once he shouted at me because I was squinting on the right eye when the sun was actually coming from the left: "Do you have, like, ANY connection to the real word at all???" - I always found it funny, secretly.

Ulrike said...

I love your cats and really nice interview too.

Viviane Schwarz said...

Thank you!
:)

Stephanie Roth Sisson said...

Hi! How fun- wow...seeing the videos of you made you even more real here. I showed Tristam and he was thrilled to see the lady who made the "cats book". He wants to know if you can come over and draw with him.

Anyways- I really like what you've done with your blog and the interview gives a real sense of a person instead of a journal, say, or something...does that make sense? It is , like you said at one point about your blog, " a virtual online presence".

Viviane Schwarz said...

Ah, wait until I've finished shining up the website, I'll be a commerical juggernaut!

No, honestly though, I am still saving up for an America trip, just haven't decided how long it should be, I'd quite like to make it last and see several places... I just need to plan it so I can do without a car somehow. I would love to visit, take the train somewhere else, rent a room for a month and work with an American publisher or something exciting... or write a new book! Hmm.

Viviane Schwarz said...

And say hello to Tristam! Hi!