Wednesday, May 26, 2010

One-Liners and Double Creatures

I went to Anthony Browne's book launch. Flatmate bought a first edition of "King Kong" and had it dedicated, I'm a bit envious.
On the way there I noticed there are a lot more elephants in town than I'd realised (they are all for sale to benefit an elephant saving charity). Here's one that's also a polar bear, by Martin Aveling.

I had some time to sit around and drink coffee and work on a new song which keeps being rude, and I doodled some animals from one line each, which is a fun thing to do. I was thinking of Daniel Clowes saying (in a talk I went to see some days ago) that he finds keeping sketchbooks a chore and a drain on creativity, so he doesn't do that any more. I know what he means there.
I don't really have a sketchbook neither, I think of it as a scrapbook which is what my little books used to be back in school, although I gradually stopped collecting scraps in them. Mine have only notes in them, really, and warm-up-drawings which I need to do before I ink anything for real (although often I just draw a load of circles to warm up, when I can draw a neat circle I know I'm ready to draw for real). And very occassionally doodles like these.

On the way back home we went to the Japan Center to buy some Sushi, and I got this cat shaped glass mug, and a tin of crushed pear juice to drink from it.

4 comments:

Ulrike said...

Cool drawings. Also nice haircut, by the way.

Viviane Schwarz said...

Thank you very much :)
I much prefer the short hair, might not grow it out again this time.

Alexia said...

Oh wow, I just saw your haircut! It looks marvelous, I'm jealous! IT's Faby!x

Viviane Schwarz said...

Ha haa! :)
Went to a trendy-looking place in Lordship Lane and spent twice what I usually do... and it's totally staying in place for the first time in my life!
I might get a platinum streak bleached in next time.