Thursday, April 29, 2010

Two Thirds Through...

I've not shouted about the last two chapters of comic I finished laying out, mostly because it's such a load of re-writing work that I normally end on a strong sense of "ugh" and then start again with a feeling of "rrrah" and I'm not really feeling like chatting about it inbetween-times.
Anyway, I re-read some books on dramatic improvisation and it helped me to fix some of the parts that weren't quite working yet (I think). Some conversations have been replaced with fights, some fights with silences, scenes have somehow been inserted on top of other scenes without adding pages, and today I got to draw a spread of completely black panels which was a treat.
Somehow I'm two thirds through and there's only one chapter and an epilogue left to do once I've finished the bit I'm working on this week.

Here's the desk I am borrowing, with a typical day's work on it.

I was a bit tired yesterday and I'd lost my page grid, hence the completely wrong dimensions of the right-hand page. Never mind.

Also: Life is getting EVEN MORE EXCITING because that bike I was getting turned out to have a bad joint in the middle, and so... I'm getting an even better one. It looks like this:

It really reminds me of the bike I had when I was tiny... I likes that one, never really got on with full-sized ones. Can't quite believe I'm getting this, it's too brilliant!

I ordered some bicycle maps of London with easy and dangerous routes marked in, I'll sign up for some free refresher lessons soon and I shall buy a red helmet, locks and lights and reflective garments this weekend.

4 comments:

Dave Shelton said...

Jealous about the bike.

Actually, about the speed of your progress with the graphic novel a bit too. But mostly the bike.

Viviane Schwarz said...

Well-balanced jealousy. These roughs are very rough, but the bike is RED.

Stephanie Roth Sisson said...

now you need a fabulous helmet...have you see the ones made by "nutcase"? And you will also need a flowing scarf that can fly in the wind.

Viviane Schwarz said...

I almost bought a nutcase helmet! A black one with a white paisley pattern. But then I bought a plain white helmet instead because I'm fairly sure I'll fall on it pretty soon while re-learning, and then I'll have to buy a new one.
This helmet has black holes and so it looks a bit like a tree ghost from Princess Mononoke, which is scary when I wake up at night and it's perching on the shelf staring at me.