Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Slowing Down

It's sunny, and I am slow. Not because it's sunny, I'm being slow on purpose, to see what it's like. I've been thinking about it, and people who are in control of things don't tend to move quickly. Not instantly reacting to other people wanting one's attention obviously makes one feel more important (but also sometimes leads to stepping into dog-poo).
More fun is moving slowly by myself - try it out some time, slow right down and see if it doesn't make you feel like you are surveying things rather than trying to keep up with them. Also: when you work fast, you always feel like you're doing more than anyone else when in reality you often stand around tapping your foot trying for someone or something to catch up. Moving fast creates a constant frustration with all the other people who never seem to be paying attention, never have an answer ready, never jump to take things out of your hand that you offer them - it's frustrating because by moving fast, you allow them to be the ones actually seeming to be in control because they move at the leisurely pace of kings in comparison. Even when you are dressed up and officially in command, it's almost impossible to feel in control if you physically move too fast.

It's a useful lesson but I ought to try and get a healthy balance before my flatmate gets too freaked out to talk to me. Also whenever I answer the phone people ask me if I have a cold.



I also went out to Cafe Nero with my reference Bear to do some drawing - it's still the best cafe to work in, just because people really leave me alone there.
I killed off my first character today, which was harder than expected.

No comments: