Monday, February 22, 2010

Shoe Plans

I finally managed to write that scene in my novel... the one I've been stuck on for weeks. I'm not sure it's any good, in fact I'm not sure that the book is any good, but I think that's a normal phase. - It was definitely a good day for writing, because all my other projects are awaiting orders, or have been handed over to other people to be made ready for this year's Bologna book fair.
I did some other things first - looking up how to make shoes, mainly, and ordering a big piece of leather to cut two pairs of moccasins from. I've recently become completely fed up with shoes, but barefoot walking is generally not welcomed in London. So I've been reminiscing about the moccasins I had as a child, made to measure from a footprint. Well, I finally found some instructions for making my own.
I'll make one pair of airy medieval lace-up shoes and one pair of fur-trimmed boots (because I have some fake fur that wants using). I'm hoping I'll get so good at making them that I can eventually design some acceptable everyday barefoot shoes.

I like that time between projects, it always feels like anything is possible.

4 comments:

Ellen L. said...

Ooh, I've always wanted to make shoes, too. I'll love to see how yours work out!

Ellen L. said...

Oops, I think I'm signed in as Ellen, this is actually Sarah, heheh.

Sarah said...

Okay, that was me...

Viviane Schwarz said...

Hah! Yes I'll see what happens with this... the materials are on their way! I'll make the shoes to celebrate when I've finally tidied up this room.