Friday, February 12, 2010

Mad Love

I'm still in the process of re-absorbing my studio things into my room at home. It's daunting, but it's also good to do some stock-taking.
Yesterday I found my very small stash of treasured comic issues, and among them the first comic I ever bought. I grew up reading my sisters' Tintin Comics plus the selection in our local library, and I enjoyed them. But then one day I was at a news agents, looking for my science fiction magazine, and for some reason or another I bought a Batman comic instead. I read it and thought: wow! I didn't know comic magazines were like this!


I went back to buy some more comics (the shopkeeper sneered at me wasting my money, I remember holding my head extra high and staring her straight in the face when I paid) but they didn't do anything for me. So I decided that the first one must be unusually good, and I read and re-read it and some days later I started drawing my own wobbly comics.

Anyway, it's "Batman: Mad Love" by Paul Dini and Bruce Timm (and turns out it was an unusually award-winning issue). I've found more comics I like since, but this is the one I think I'll always keep. It's exciting and upsetting, and I think the pacing and drawing is great. It also was my first step towards appreciating superheroes, which before that I'd just found frightening because all I'd seen was one chewed-up edition of a Superman story where everyone died horribly.

I'm glad I remembered it just before starting to draw my first commissioned graphic novel, I'll keep looking at it for good luck...

4 comments:

Eric Orchard said...

I really love this comic! It's the funnest Batman comic ever. I don't know what the heck Bruce Timm is up to these days.I was so heartbroken when I spilled hot chocolate on my copy of Mad Love.

Viviane Schwarz said...

Hot chocolate!!!
That is upsetting. Hey, I think they re-issued it in a collection, I just looked it up...

Eric Orchard said...

Must find it! Thanks! We need to swap our graphic novels when they're done!

Viviane Schwarz said...

Very much so! Can't wait to get started with the pencilling, and rather do want to read yours!