Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Back to the Kittens.

Back to drawing kittens today for my potential kitten-related job.
I went to the library to look at books about kittens. Now I am searching flickr. Looking at kittens in motion didn't help. Thinking about kittens and discussing kittens didn't help.
I tried tracing photographs just to understand the proportions.

Didn't help.
All my drawings either look like small cats or weird furry none-specific bobble-headed creatures, and I am supposed to work it out by Friday.
I just don't get it. Whatever it is that gets people excited about kittens rather than cats in general completely eludes me. I've noticed before that I don't generally find baby animals cuter than other animals. Maybe I have missing genes.
I have a feeling this particular illustration gig isn't meant for me...

Ah well. Otherwise, it's been a splendid day. I also got out a book on how to draw comics, just because it's good to keep up to date, and I donated a bag of useful-looking novels and reference books that I don't really care for, and I looked out from the back window of the library towards the Thames. The London Eye was glittering. It really felt like Spring.

3 comments:

Alexia said...

It is starting to feel like spring. This picture (is it traced?) does look a lot more 'kitteny' than your small cats usually do.. Bigger head? Bigger paws? Both? X

Candice Hartsough McDonald said...

i don't think kittens are very cute, either. and i'm a cat person. some other baby animals are way cute, though. usually puppies. and maybe lambs.

Viviane Schwarz said...

Yeah, that's traced. The main feature hat makes something look like a kitten, I believe, is the blank stare. Huge boggly blank staring eyes in a furball, and presto, instant kitten.

I agree on the puppies and lambs. There are all sorts of baby animals I find more engaging than kittens.... gangly ones, generally. I could draw gangly kittens but those are too old. Stary furball kittens is what's needed. - Oof. It's like drawing cars or other things I know nothing about...