Friday, December 18, 2009

Happiness

I just got back from the Battersea Art Centre, and I am thoroughly happy. And proud.
I watched a small trial performance of a few songs by Matthew and his current set of musicians - and all the words had been written by me, over the last few years. Some of them I knew well and some I had forgotten completely.
And it was BRILLIANT!
We all sat in a little room with candles and a fireplace, there were shadow puppets and other projections manipulated by Tim, rabbits and cats and fish and monsters and even the devil himself, and I couldn't believe how wonderful the music was - there was a cello and a violin and a bass guitar and a pump organ, and all of them playing together beautifully. It was like a happy dream.
I'm so pleased with what Matthew did with the songs, he's starting to weave some stories that make the words I wrote from something idiosyncratic into something that I think will be meaningful to people who aren't, well, me. Which I think is the best thing that can happen with something one makes.
Oh hooray!!!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Hooray!!! I'm so glad it went well, wish I could've been two places at once!

Viviane Schwarz said...

Oh hopefully you can come and see the show when it's finished... and I think someone is videoing the performance tonight, too!
And I hope there will be recordings of the music.
Yay, I am still so pleased!

Rosie said...

I wish I had been there. It was obviously magic. I wish I could make out the words more clearly. Brilliant. Someone set my words to music this year and I loved it! Super blog.

Viviane Schwarz said...

Thank you! Yes it's great, isn't it, helping to make songs...

I posted the lyrics in the comments for the video now, because they are a bit hard to make out completely without headphones.