Monday, November 9, 2009

WOO HOOO!

Hello world!

I just went grocery shopping, meaning to get some emergency pasta mostly, but suddenly somewhere around the cheese aisle a brilliant bit of news a friend had told me earlier sank in and I bought artichokes, expensive juice, salad ingredients and two sorts of ice cream, and I started humming a song to myself. By the time I was halfway home I had the words to it, and now I am writing it down, it has to become part of the NaNovel to make up the word count, but it fits in nicely. - There's been such a lot of fuss in the last few months, and I'd been building up some sort of emotional carapace to let at least some of it bounce off, but now I feel like I can crack it open, put it in the corner like a Viv-shaped iron maiden and take a deep breath of November air. I think I shall buy pizza for the whole household tonight and celebrate.

And: when I opened the fridge to put away the groceries I could smell some butter. I've not smelled butter since May! I think my sense of smell really is coming back, by and by.

Anyway, I must write a whole lot of words, several thousands, I'm still behind on this project and I seriously have other work to do. There's a whole book to be coloured in, adn tomorrow I'll ink in the text changes in the "There are Cats in This Book" sequel.
But: it definitely is a very useful thing to do, and I'm noticing that making myself write thousands of words every day is doing something very useful to my brain, it's like I am learning to switch into "output" mode much more quickly, and stay there for longer. And I am enjoying some of what I'm writing, and also the memories it's bringing up...

And, before I forget, "There are Cats in this Book" has been nominated for the CILIP Kate Greenaway Medal. That's also very nice. Shortlist will be announced in January I believe, hepp - ho!

3 comments:

Jessie said...

Good luck with your writing.It's a great feeling to be in the flow,long may it be!x

Swati said...

All the best!

Stephanie Roth Sisson said...

Damn your good. I ask everyone I meet who is interested in kids books-"Have you heard of Vivian Schwarz?" Then I go on about how fantastically orginal and perfect your books are...