Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Novel-writing again...

When I was traveling to and from Germany last month I corrected through the first chapters of a novel I started writing a year ago, and which I'm hoping to finish before the year is out (well, at least I want to get the first half done and dusted).
I just finished transferring the corrections to the actual draft.



I've thrown out a good bit, and then thrown out some more, and just then I threw out almost every instance of "she realised that" and replaced things like "she rose to her feet" with things like "she got up".
I'm very happy with it, and now I shall make my list of scenes that I've been scrawling into my little orange notebook in August (I think) into virtual note-cards in Scrivener, ready to be filled in with story. I'm glad it's all planned out, when I first started writing I was flying blind, and I did come up with a lot of good stuff that way, but at some point it was definitely time to stop improvising and lay down some structure.

Now I've lit some candles because it's autumn, and I shall spend the rest of the day writing while listening to Emiliana Torrini's "Me and Armini" which has become the soundtrack to this novel in my head since I bought it last November and played it on a loop while writing as much of the story down as possible...

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Glad to hear the writing's going well, we miss you in the studio! Love the drawing in the margin! Will you come and draw in all my books? :-D
xx

Viviane Schwarz said...

He he. I like drawing into books.
Almost done with the working-at-home stretch. Am momentarily distracted somehow, grr, was all going well an hour ago! Must drink more tea.

Sarah said...

More tea. I think I'll do that, too.