Thursday, July 9, 2009

Running

Huh. Hah. I spent all of yesterday thinking about stories, and monsters, and designing a monster, and thinking about my comic, and sketching, and in the end I felt absolutely dreadful. This morning I swung my arms around a bit, which made them creak, and then realised I had better get out of the house and run around before I fused into a knot.
Unfortunately I don't enjoy exercise. I hate every sort of exercise that is unproductive, I loathe cycling because it puts the fear of serious injury into me, and I am not competitive in any way so team sports are out. I mean, I've tried being competitive, in the same way one tries to take up smoking to look cool, because all the popular people in school were competitive. And sporty, actually. But it never caught. My parents tried, like good parents do, to get me interested. I remember being very small and my mum saying "See if you can touch your toes!" and me touching my toes and saying "yes" and her saying "but can you do it again?" and me saying "well, very probably, yes" and worrying about her state of mind a bit when she demanded proof.
Anyway, I enjoyed running at one point in my life. Well, that's not strictly true. I enjoyed getting away from my irritating home situation at speed, and I enjoyed arriving at the beach, sometimes even before the sun came up so I could look for planets. The point is, I didn't MIND the running.
And I really do enjoy long walks by myself, so why not just speed up the walks gradually...

Enough of this now, I feel reasonably exercised after running halfway to the park and walking the other half and then flopping down onto the grass and watching the crows walk by. Cup of tea and drawing now!

4 comments:

Dave Shelton said...

Me and my main squeeze do running together. I'd kind of dabbled on my own for a while but really irregularly. Now we're doing 45 minutes (no idea what distance) at a time pretty much every other day and - after a lot of aching and groaning and thinking we were going to die early on - beginning to feel the benefit, both mentally and physically.

It really helps to have someone to go with, not only for the company but also just because it makes you less likely to convince yourself you're just too busy today (but you'll definitely go tomorrow) because you'll be letting someone down if you do. That's how it works for me anyway, you probably have a tad more commitment and self-motivation and such.

Viviane Schwarz said...

Oh, that sounds like a good arrangement... I don't know anyone else who is as unfit as I am though, they'd just be waiting up for me to catch up on my stumpy legs half the time.

I think I'll start the whole thing by just running everywhere for a while, that used to work in the past... also makes me feel like someone from a particularly daft Star Trek planet, like that world where everyone jogs all the time and the only law is don't enter the forbidden zone on a Tuesday afternoonor you'll die on the spot, or something. Um.

Dave Shelton said...

Hmm. Think I missed that episode (sadly).

Viviane Schwarz said...

Oh, it's one of the all time disturbing ones (I think anyway)...