Monday, June 15, 2009

Cat sitting, day one, morning

There's a cat trying to type on this computer. I'm cat-sitting. It's very exciting to have a whole flat to myself... well, myself and the cats. I got a good list of instructions, which explained everything about the house and the cats, so I should be okay, except I already managed to lock myself out.
I just woke up in the morning (covered in cats) when the postman rang, went to the door (folloed by cats) accepted a parcel, remembering the warning that Pixie the cat will always try to escape through the front door, so I pulled the door to the flat closed before opening the front door. I felt clever about that until I turned around and couldn't open it again.

I briefly wondered what the time was. In my house the post generally arrives at about eleven, if at all. I thought: oh no, I haven't even fed the cats yet, and that is the only thing I really am supposed to do... So I rang the other doorbell and the friendly lady from upstairs apologised a lot to me when she saw me in my pyjamas, she figured I wanted the other flat and said I should try knocking. I explained that this would not be much use because the person who would be expected to open would be myself, and she gave me the landlord's number, who came around and let me in.
Only then I realised that it was still just before eight o clock. If I'd known that I would have camped out in the corridor for a hour first... Where on earth does the post arrive before eight??
So I felt very sheepish, and was happy to get instantly covered in cats again. I gave them some food, and told them that I didn't think I was doing very well so far, but they jumped on my head and purred which I think means "oh, shut up" in cat.
Image_00053
I better not do anything else that involves calling up the landlord.
In fact, I'll run a bath now and have some coffee and then do some writing, I remember I got up in the middle of the night (putting aside the cats) and made some notes of ideas for the comic script. I'll check what they are once I'm properly awake and all...

6 comments:

Alexia said...

If this happens again, call me. I have keys.
X

Viviane Schwarz said...

Thank you!!! Ha, I had no phone on me neither... just pyjamas. And a parcel. Thought about walking to yours actually for a minute. - I just wish I'd realised that it was so damn early, I'd have camped out in the corridor... But landlord seemed really nice, phew. Hope I'll get an opportunity to apologise, anyway...

Swati said...

I am so sorry for your predicament - but it was funny! Isn't it amazing how our minds will process only one little piece of information in the tumbled-out-of-bed mode, pat themselves on the back for it, and then find that they keys are actually inside?

Viviane Schwarz said...

Yep, exactly like that... I was so darn pleased for answering the door and not losing the cats, for about ten seconds...

John Peacock said...

Ah, there was a time (a very long time ago!) that I came home very late from the pub, very much the worse for wear, proceded to get even worse, and on my way to bed, instead of turning left into the bathroom, I turned right out of the flat, only realising what I'd done as the door clicked shut behind me.

I had to run across to my father's place at 2:00 in the morning, and get him out of bed so that I could borrow his spare keys to get back in again.

Good job I hadn't taken my trousers off yet.

Viviane Schwarz said...

That seriously makes me fel a lot better... nothing quite like being out of doors in pyjamas when you don't mean to be. Or without pyjamas, even.

I'm glad that everything's gone well since, even the cats seem to like me :)