Friday, May 29, 2009

Tooting Bec Lido, a bit early in the year

Tonight we're having a dinner guest,and I was supposed to clean the house... so when flatmate said "I'm going to Tooting Bec Lido, want to come along?" of course I said "YEAH!"
It's a very fab lido, a million gallons of freshwater and an aerating fountain that looks like an powder blue iced layer cake.
And ducks.



Of course HE has a wetsuit...

I tried very hard not to swear in front of children when I got in. We swam two lengths together, flatmate floating along like a happy otter asking "So? How you doin'?"
Me: "I think I can taste blood. I think something's happened to my lungs."
Passing duck: "Honk!"
Then I staggered out and almost got decapitated Omen-style by a surfboard, since for reasons of interesting landscaping decisions (let's keep it really cosy and enclosed except for an entrance at each end) the whole place is a bit of a wind-channel, and every so often all the floating toys lift out of the water, hurtle across the pool-side at amazing velocity and smash into the fence. It's really rather brilliant, especially when you're sunbathing and suddenly a huge inflatable dolphin soars overhead and goes THUD into someone just behind you.

Anyway, my face feels really exercised now from grimacing. And it was very, very funny watching other people get into the water, just the moment when they are over the gut-wrenching shock of it and pleased because now it'll be fine, and then they realise it's STILL TOO COLD. Hehehe.

Better go and tidy now...

3 comments:

Stephanie Roth Sisson said...

Haaa! I have a picture in my head of the scene! I bet you felt incredibly awake and very exhausted after it all. I know what you mean about that expression- especially when people get to about waist high in the water. Sounds like a good break though-

Viviane Schwarz said...

Yeah! I thought my joints would explode when I got in but I felt GREAT when I got out! I can see why Alexis goes every day...

Sarah said...

Hehe, I love your description of the wind tunnel!