Saturday, May 2, 2009

Saturday at last

Gee I am tired. Hello!

I believe I have most of the day off, except for tidying the flat and preparing to host my dad's birthday do in the evening, but that seems not to bad. The last week or so has been full-time illustration work plus parents visiting, so I should really have loads of things to show you but I didn't take photos. Ah well.

The main thing I want to say is if you are in London, go to this exhibition in the Royal academy. It's my favourite thing I've seen this year so far (probably a good bit longer than this year), a huge collection of prints by Utagawa Kuniyoshi. I think I'll have to go again, because it's hard to take in everything that's amazing about it in one go. I talked to a friend yesterday and she said she went back because at her first visit she just looked at the colours, and how they were achieved. I'd just looked at the stories, and the way water was represented. She said "did you look at the amazing feet?" - No, I had not. - I feel a bit like it's an exhibition where you want a sheet with things to look out for, like on a school trip, so you can write short essays on what you've learned.

Otherwise... um... oh yes, otherwise I am kind of blank in the brain because I've been catching up with illustration work most nights, drinking Red Bull and last night even taking ProPlus caffeine tabs, which I haven't done since writing my dissertation in college. But it looks like life will go back to normal now. Or better than normal. There's even a picnic planned for Tuesday.

In any case, I can't believe how brilliant the projects are that I get to work on at the moment. The picture book is too funny, the graphic novel is too exciting, and then as if that's not enough I'm doing some smaller projects with friends - these are especially pleasing because they'll be finished a lot sooner than the big projects, and I'll be sticking them on the web ASAP. Hooray!

Now excuse me while I drink my coffee in bed.

2 comments:

Jessie Lilac said...

You lucky thing living in London and getting to see this exhibition, it looks stunning. It's amazing how contemporary it looks to. Do you think we're having another revival of Japanese style? I keep seeing the Japanese influence in design all over the place at the moment!

tiger said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.