Thursday, May 7, 2009

Headache

Ow. Ow. Ouch. My head hurts. I made a mistake. I remembered how my computer used to work better before I upgraded it, and I remembered how last time I installed that old system it took me about an hour because I've been keeping notes of all the settings. So I backed it all up and downgraded. But oh! Oh! Weird things happened. Basically, I think it's showing that this computer was bought from Aldi, and when it stopped working was posted to my house (via royal mail) where I had to be very kind to it until it remembered it wasn't actually born a toaster. Basically, the parts are misbehaving. It's wheezing. Sometimes it forgets that it has a screen.
Anyway, the reason I got this was mainly that back then I couldn't afford a mac. Now I've saved up for one, and a mac I shall have. - I'll keep using a good lot of the open source software, though.
I do love this computer, I really enjoy using Linux, but I can't really spend many more nights like that. And while I normally enjoy tinkering and making things work, right now I quite want to tinker with some words and pictures and sounds.

So! I wonder what sort of Mac to get? I hope this headache will pass quickly so I can do some research. And I also have to put together a quick slideshow for a talk tomorrow.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Oo, good luck with the Mac purchase. I love my Mac, but it's five years old and creaking very badly, grr. It takes at least four times to switch it on and sounds like a jet engine after it's been on a few hours.

Let me know what you get! I'm thinking it's probably better for me to get one of those tower hard drives with separate monitor, because they're easier to upgrade and add RAM. But I'm not sure where I'd store the tower, my flat screen all-in-one is so nice and compact. Hmm.

Viviane Schwarz said...

Wow I was wondering what you are using, seeing that you use it so much for work. That is great to know! If you can make such brilliant artwork on an old mac...

Ha yes! - I think I'd like a mini, because I imagine it would be nicer to share a living space with than a mac pro tower. And I want to keep the screen I already have. I love the idea of a tiny box that just sits there very quietly instead of a huge beast drawing electricity and buzzing "GRARRRRRH, WOULD YOU LIKE TO MAKE A FEATURE MOVIE? 3D RENDERED? BRING IT ON!"

And a mini should really be good enough for what I want to do, seeing that I've been working with an old mac laptop and a linuxed Aldi computer for a while now.

Also I am remembering last time I visited the designer who is putting the cat books together and seeing his set-up, with four screens, and he had maybe five layered huge photoshop files open, a video project, a sound editing program, and of course email and browser, and he was working on it all at once. The only problem was finding the files on the screens because there were so many of them. It was absolutely mind-boggling.
So I thought: Hey! I don't need to be able to do that!

I'm just thinking of my dad, he'd got the best pro mac money could buy at the time, I kind of have his voice in my head saying "Don't Be A Fool! Go For The Best!"
But then he realised that Final Cut Pro isn't compatible with whatever the latest HD video format is, and now he bought a PC instead and my mum has the supercomputer.

Oh I want a mini mac. I'll just go to the shop and check it out next week.

Sarah said...

Yay, hope you like your mini!

I'm getting really freaked out just thinking about buying a new computer. I never read any of the magazines and I have no idea what's out there. I'm nervous I'll buy something just at the end of its cycle, before it goes a bit obsolete. That's what happened with the computer I have now; a new OS system was just about to come out and the new computers were going to have a built-in web cam, but I didn't know about that. I know it pays to research, but ARGH. There are too many things to do in a day.

I need to go to the Apple store and have a look around. I'm curious how small the mini is.

Viviane Schwarz said...

Oh I think I will like it! It seems just right for me...

Hm yeah, I bought a laptop last time, one of these tiny silver powerbooks that were the smallest pro thing at the time, first generation. And then the next lot came with WiFi, and they never made an adapter for mine. - There's always something I think... if I'd be doing my own design work I think I'd go for the imac, but I am sure for the not-very-complicated computer graphics I'm doing it'll be great.

Viviane Schwarz said...

Maybe you should get a new all-in-one! They are apparently rather brilliant...

Sarah said...

Ooo, I love the look of the all-in-ones, they are brilliant. But I'm wondering if getting a Mini like yours will make my next upgrade much cheaper. These dang things just go obsolete SO quickly!

I just did an angst-y blog about it, I hate doing this kind of research so much. It's the acronyms, I never know what they are talking about. :-P