Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Burlesque Life Drawing...

I just got back from a fun evening of life-drawing at the Royal Vauxhall Tavern. The idea being that life drawing is more fun if the people you're drawing have some sort of entertaining reason for taking their clothes off. Or at least, some strategic tassels and music.
After every drawing, we got to hold up our pictures and show off...

Dr Sketchy

... and maybe get a prize... I got a box of pencils and a matching notebook for my blind drawing of Miss Slinky Sparkles. I was kind of hiding but someone behind me shouted CUPCAKE! CUPCAKE! And pointed at my drawing until it got given a prize.



True enough, she was wearing a cupcake on her head at the time, which maybe you can tell, or not.

Dr Sketchy

All organised by Dr Sketchy. And it's not easy to get me life drawing... it's so disheartening normally! They never give you a free cocktail for the funniest drawing. Not the life drawing classes I've been to before, anyway.

7 comments:

Eric Orchard said...

Awesome drawing! Those things sound like a blast. I'm going to check t see if they have a Dr. Sketchey's in Toronto.

tlc illustration said...

Maybe that's what the life drawing sessions I monitor are missing - cocktails! (We do sometimes have cookies)

Jessie said...

I think that's a brilliant idea, cocktails for the funniest drawing. Thing is it'll be unwittingly funny and the prize will be a consolation!

Viviane Schwarz said...

I think it's always a lovely idea to have something extra going on for life drawing... in fact, I think it would also be nice if there was more life drawing where people have clothes on and move because, well, I don't think that being really good at still, naked people translates 100% into being able to draw moving, clothed people which after all is what's mostly required. Actually, strippers actually do a really good mix of clothed, unclothed, poses and movements...
I would quite like sessions with theatrical life drawing, where you get actors doing different expressive things for one minute poses... but still cocktails :) Maybe someone could write a play where the actors keep still in good poses for minutes at a time, and repeat movements at other times...

Sarah said...

Fabulous! Ooo, that DOES sound fun!

Fr√łydis said...

Oh wow, that sounds absolutely great!

tiger said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.