Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sounding funny

I spent some time over the last week recording songs into my computer, just for fun, and because I want to get over being scared of being recorded. I am deeply convinced that I am a very silly-looking and silly-sounding person, mostly because, well, people say so, actually. I don't know how often someone has told me that I "could have a beautiful voice if I wanted", as if they sell them by the pound in paper bags somewhere.
Anyway, so I've been listening to myself singing, because that seems less stressful than talking. And I can tell you by now that I am no good at it, but that it does sound funny. - I used to be sad that people kept laughing at me all the time, and I imagined being serious, one of these beautiful respectable serious people that everybody falls in love with, and I'd be all prosperous and such. And that if I were just serious enough people would walk up to me and say: "Viv, have lots of love and money because I cannot help but give all I can to such a deeply sincere and respectable individual as yourself." But, you know, the other day I pictured this scene and it suddenly struck me that it was a deeply silly thought.
So now I shall get back to doing something more constructive - drawing hamsters with tea-cups on their heads, in fact. Which is a job I am very much qualified for.
What on earth would I be doing if I were a serious person?

6 comments:

alex milway said...

i have no doubt that if you were a normal person you'd still be drawing hamsters with teacups on their heads

Viviane Schwarz said...

Oh, I think I am quite normal really. Just not, you know, serious.

Joe Sutphin said...

being a somewhat decent singer certainly hasnt added any years to my life. In fact, I frequently stress about the very serious, musically-related things that I get myself involved in. I would much rather just be silly sometimes and draw hamsters with tea cups on their noggins...

Viviane Schwarz said...

Mh, the hamsters part is very enjoyable.

SJ said...

I'm often told I am too serious! And too intense. So it wouldn't stop even if you were serious.

Strangely though it's only people who don't know me who think I am serious and intense - my partner thinks I'm downright ecentric.

Anyway I really enjoy your blog and am always entertained both by your words and your drawings.

Viviane Schwarz said...

Oh, it would be fun though to be serious and intense for a bit. Maybe I could take a serious intense holiday somewhere, that would be fun. I bet I'd trip up though.

I'm glad that every time I go and post something gloomy I hear from nice people out there. Thank you!