Sunday, April 5, 2009

Hello from my Shiny New OS, world!

Well! It's quite a sunny day, and I spent all of yesterday upgrading my operating system to "Intrepid Ibex". For no good reason. It took me until two in the morning, and now everything runs very well indeed. Half the night was taken up by making dual monitors work, and then late this morning I got up, looked at them, felt very pleased I'd managed it, and unplugged one because actually I've been meaning to get rid of it for some time. I don't really need two screens any more, but I do need some more desk-space. But I didn't want to give it up because it didn't work, you see, but because I didn't need it. I mean, I want to know that I can plug it back in if I need it.

It's amazing how one always learns something new, trying to make computery things work... there's always these things I keep reading in forums and I have no idea what they mean until it happens. Like "you might accidentally hose X". What? I vaguely wondered about the meaning of that for a long time. Yet at some point last night I found myself saying confidently and cheerfully: "Argh! - Hosed X again."
Somehow it's quite satisfying to actually find out what things like "kernel panic" or "dependency hell" mean, and all these other demon overlords whose realm one enters when first buying a computer. I am kind of grateful to my dad who first got me into this sort of thing simply by buying a very expensive computer and then telling me I was the one who had to actually switch it on because "you learned that in school" (which I hadn't, funnily enough, and I stared at the box half a day and phoned the Microsoft helpline before I dared pressing the ON switch).

Anyway, quite enough of that now. I'm off to buy my first bag of compost, for the balcony garden. And maybe even a tomato plant. I need to touch some stuff that isn't keyboard.

5 comments:

warriorgrrl said...

My boyfriend needs another screen - let me know if you decide to sell yours :)

Viviane Schwarz said...

I better wait until next time I'm doing any serious work, might want it back on the desk in a hurry! I am not very good at setting up my work-space sensibly...

Eric Orchard said...

You make setting up a computer sound like a night of Dungeons and Dragons!

Viviane Schwarz said...

I think I leveled up to class three orc mechanic with this one...

Eric Orchard said...

Lol!