Saturday, March 7, 2009

Art of Lost Words Exhibition



Yesterday the Art of Lost Words exhibition opened, in a most impressive venue - the old German Gymnasium, which stands just outside St. Pancras Station. It's big, it's Victorian, it's got hooks in the ceiling, for climbing ropes as you can see above. And this weekend only, it has a Morsicant.

morsicant exhibit

Go and learn a whole lot of new old disused words while looking at nice art! Here is a taster.

There's also a limited edition screen-printed comic to go with my knitted beastie.
morsicant exhibit
You can buy a print online, here!

Boring Event Of The Day:
On the way back got stuck in Blackfriars station. Waited on platform four for some time, looking at the advertising posters thinking: "Tina Turner... wow she looks young... advert for a golfing tournament... with Meat Loaf... in 1988... I don't think trains will come here actually..." and they didn't. Took me two hours to get back home. From central London. AGAIN.

6 comments:

John Peacock said...

That's actually quite a remarkable event, though, really, but I can understand might be a bit trying.

Viviane Schwarz said...

I don't know where my misplaced trust in Central London Train Stations comes from... I've got stuck in Blackfriars so often, and they always laugh and say "No trains today!" like I am standing under a big "NO TRAINS" sign without noticing. How is it so many trains go into Blackfriars and so few go out? Do they sink them into the ground? And then what?

There's also a poster with a white clown saying something like "Come to London's new eating and shopping experience... Hays Galleria!"

John Peacock said...

Perhaps it's like when coins fall down the back of the sofa -they'll find them during spring cleaning - "Oh, that's where they are, we were wondering what happened to them!".

Viviane Schwarz said...

And then they put them all back on the rails at once, in a row between Victoria and Clapham. Yes, that would explain something or other...

Swati said...

Enjoyed looking up all the words on google, finding some nice things to read, and checking which 'illustration' actually represented the word to me. No other work was as colourful - and different - as morsicant of course.

And oh, this link may be useful too - http://www.textgallery.info/aolw/descriptions/nubivagant.html

I was searching for each word's meaning before I tumbled on to this info page about each artist (just keep clicking next). Wish there was something about the work too; something about the process of its birth. For instance, the habroneme (was that the word now?) was rather obscure till I read about it on the artist's site - all in ONE plastic thread, and the entire word spelled out! Impressive.

Em, Swati, time to shut up. This comment is going to get out of hand soon. (I would have used a lost word here but just can't get the savethewords.org site to open.)

Viviane Schwarz said...

It was good... I wish I could remember any of the words I thought I learned that day :)