Friday, February 13, 2009

Back home for a few days

I'm back from my very first lecture! And it went well. The students were very friendly, and although I can't really remember anything I told them (too nervous) I remember I got applause, and a small crowd looking at my books and asking questions in the end, and some people saying it was a good lecture, and thanks for not swearing (I think I did a bit, actually - and gesticulate wildly and I think I danced a little jig at some point... possibly).
I didn't realise that I had to speak in a lip-readable way, meaning standing right at the front and not turning back to check on my slides, but that turned out to be a good thing because otherwise I'd have hidden behind the lectern with a microphone and tried to be invisible.
I wish I'd had more time to chat to students afterwards and give some advice on drawing characters and such, because I kind of just got started, but I had to leave right after lunch...
Now I am worn out from five and a half hours travel (and the same yesterday to get there).
Cornwall was sunny, warm and full of very breathable air, and I got to visit some very friendly horses, budgies and people. All good I think. And it's still a lovely college, is Falmouth.

3 comments:

heidiball said...

Hi, I was one of the students in your very first lecture and really enjoyed it. I don't think enough guest speakers tell us how they feel about their work, or give us a little impression of dancing rats either! We need more humour and enthusiasm like yours! Thanks v much, Heidi.

Eric Orchard said...

So glad it's going well!

Viviane Schwarz said...

Hello Heidi!

Now I do remember some things I said after all! I was talking about dancing rats! Yes!
Glad you liked the talk...
Yeah, I think it's good to admit to yourself when you are really pleased with what you've done and also when you're really worried, else creative life can get mighty confusing, can't it...