Wednesday, February 25, 2009

THE ART OF LOST WORDS



Exhibition! Come and see! It's at the German Gymnasium (Opposite St Pancras Station) in London, 5th to the 9th of this month.
Here's the official website.

It's an an exhibition of art inspired by forgotten words... and it includes a piece by me, which is a) knitted and b) bigger than you'd think and c) comes with a screen-printed limited edition one-page comic that you can buy!
Every participant is illustrating one word that has dropped out of common usage. Mine is "Morsicant", meaning "producing the sensation of repeated biting or pricking". There are more than 40 other good mysterious words, and more art for sale. The proceedings go to the National Literacy Trust.

2 comments:

Ben said...

What a fantastic idea. There's a book by either DH Lawrence or George Eliot in which a character says to another 'I don't want any more of your meretricious persiflage!'

I'd happily do either or both of those...

Viviane Schwarz said...

Nice, no?

Ha - I want to say that to someone now... "meretricous" is a very good word. I do particularly like "pignoration", myself.