Friday, January 23, 2009

Becoming Famous

My dad told me on the phone: "We are pleased you are starting to sell yourself so well... but now that you are becoming famous you have to really think about every word you write in your blog."
"I bloody well won't", I said. Which was a lie, because I already always think: can I write this or will it make my family phone me up?
But he's right. I'll start making a list of products to endorse casually in the hope of getting a free lifetime supply... has anyone noticed how Dr. Ph. Martin's radiant concentrated watercolour is just so much more versatile and brilliant than other liquid watercolours? I really wouldn't know what to do if I ever ran out! Ahemm! Ahemm!!!

piggy bank

Anyway, I just got this surprise present this morning - a penny bank I can tell all my troubles to, and imagine her going SHUT UP I'M BIRTHING! - I've been keeping my loose change in a thermal sock for months since my last bank broke, so this is a great present in every way. Maybe more people want to send me surprise presents now that I'm basically a celebrity - well, I wouldn't know...

5 comments:

Stephanie Roth Sisson said...

Trippy statue...that could be used in a family planning campaign for sure.

I have wondered the same thing. I ran into that not too long ago where I knew that what I was writing might piss people off. Fred said that I needed to be more careful...but at the same time, that's just me- I mean I have some strong opinions and sanitizing everything for some unknown person's sake....at the same time, I see his point...

Viviane Schwarz said...

It's good, no? I'd been admiring it in the shop...

Hm, yeah, it's all these silly stories about people getting sacked for being drunk on Facebook... I am sure my blog would turn off some potential employers, too!
This is an edited version of my life, I leave out most of the crappy annoying stuff... anything that would be unacceptable taken out of context. But I'd never knowingly make an improved version of myself on my blog. Or anywhere. That would be incredibly creepy!
Better to be yourself.

Viviane Schwarz said...

Peculiarly, the "seven impossible things" interview contains some stuff I'd edit out of my own blog. Don't know why.

Dee said...

That statue looks vaguely familiar to me... maybe the beginning of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom?

She's an ad for epidurals if nothing else! haha...

I don't see anything that would turn off potential employers when reading your blog, but I do see the potential for disaster if caution is completely abandoned for bloggers in general. I always figure if people are going to be so uptight that they get offended by something I've said, maybe we wouldn't be a good fit together anyway. :)

Viviane Schwarz said...

Well spotted, Dee! It is the golden idol from Raiders of the Lost Ark. I quite want to put in glass eyes to make it perfect...

I agree, if someone thinks I'm a loony reading my blog, they might as well read something else, the web is big enough!