Saturday, January 24, 2009

Angry

Did some doodling...

mummy!!!

... I had an unfortunate combination of watching a random bit of "Hogan Knows Best" where Hulk Hogan told his daughter to "hold her breath for 24 hours" before an event so she'd not look fat, and took half a freshly-baked cookie away from her... and I thought: phew, that reminds me so much of parents I've met who don't even want their daughters to be international stars, but just "acceptable"... then I listened to the radio and heard a lady demand every Liverpuddlian should go and have elocution lessons to correct their English, the correct English being "what you hear on the BBC". Now I have a weird pain in my gut and am distracted from drawing, and I am starting to realise that I am actually angry.

I often feel sorry for people who somehow grew up believing that real people look and act and sound like movie stars, and that for some reason they are surrounded by weird deranged mutants instead. That something has gone wrong with the world to allow people to look not like on telly. That it is everyone's duty to try and look their very celebrity-best to deserve love and success.
Am I alone in feeling that people on TV look like they had their skin replaced with weird high tech... stuff? That TV hair has somehow turned into a completely different sort of substance?
Am I just getting old and cranky? I don't know.

Well, back to work. I'm going to put some smudges and fingerprints on my artwork.

No comments: