Saturday, November 8, 2008

NaNoWriMo day 8

I knew this would happen. My non-competitive streak is telling me that there is no point in trying to write 50.000 words in a month to get a little thing that says "winner" from an internet robot instead of just writing a novel in whatever time it takes, and in however many words. The rest of me is telling my non-competitive streak that this isn't a competition, even if they offer to give us a little thing that says "winner" (which we don't have to take if it makes us feel tricked). It's just a neat way of motivating ourselves to get some writing done and pretending that it'll all be over in the foreseeable future (December). It's kind of like exercise, where you do so and so many repetitions. And remember the time when we spent years writing that mad novel about rats that was the weight of a large brick in the end. It's actually veeeeeeery sensible to aim to get it over with in a month.
"Argh," it says. "I hate exercise."
"It's not a perfect world," says the rest of me. "Let's do the next 3000, you're allowed to do an improvised dream sequence if we get stuck."
"Ok then."

2 comments:

warriorgrrl said...

Yay, keep going! I was feeling very despondent about it earlier, feeling much the same way but a little more like "I'd rather not write a novel, instead it'd be nice to think I always could have written a good one, rather than look at the reality of good idea + bad writing". But then I turned off my modem and did 5000 words today. It may be a load of crap but at the end of the month I can have a go at making it half decent :) And now I'm only 4266 words off target for Day 8...

Viviane Schwarz said...

Very true... hey, and I can't believe how fast you're catching up!!! I hope I'll get back into it and speed up a bit, at the moment it's very boring. Luckily I've kind of run out of boring stuff now, so hopefully...