Tuesday, November 4, 2008

For goodness sake... NaNoWroiMo day 4!

And how many words do I have? Not even 5000! This is going to be a late night, I can tell. I completely overslept, mostly because somehow I slept pretty well for a change. Normally I wake up some time after midnight with a start, from some sort of terrifying nightmare that I can't remember at all but to do with having forgotten to do something important, and then I can't sleep for some hours, and then I fall asleep and have completely mad exhausting dreams until the morning. Every night, no matter what I eat or do or drink or whether I exercise or read. But last night I actually more or less just slept. No idea why. In the morning I figured I better stock up on sleep while it's on offer, and so now I missed my morning writing time, and had to go to town and back, the sun is down already, and I really want to get some paneling done for the new picture book... luckily I was thinking about the novel on the train, and so I think I might be able to put down a thousand words and then do the rest of todays' work in front of a movie on the sofa. And I still don't know at all if this novel is any good, but I know I am writing something enjoyable (to me) every five hundred words or so, and that can't be bad.
I think I might do a time-warp and remember what I was like when I was still in school - staying up most nights with a big put of tea on a stove and writing or drawing or making stuff until three or four or six, because I knew I couldn't sleep anyway, and that way I felt that when I fell asleep in class the next day at least it was for a good reason. These days, I almost enjoy sleepless nights. The ones I hate are the ones when I am almost asleep, or just dreaming and waking up going GAH! and dreaming again, and it feels like I imagine a bad office job.

By the way, I've been listening to the latest Emiliana Torrini album for days now, it's great! I'd been meaning to get it, but never got to the record shop, and I wasn't sure I'd like it... well now I got it, and I'm glad!

Argh, ok, switching on the writing machine...

1 comment:

Russet said...

I've tagged you for a bit of fun.....see my blog.....