Monday, November 10, 2008

Events again

I just tried on my proper dress, to see if it still fits around the arms - it does, goodie! I've got a big book launch to go to tomorrow, and as usual I'm wondering if I need to cut my hair or anything. I think I do... but I won't think too much about it, because every event I go to I end up looking loopy anyway. I'm no good with smart clothes... I can see they look nice, but so do naked people, and you don't see them gallivanting about at book launches much.

I also just got a mail about an upcoming exhibition where I'll get to illustrate a word that's disappearing from the English language - they sent me a list, and I got my first choice, "Morsicant", which means "the sensation of repeated biting". I have a slight feeling that this is a word still well used by the medical profession, but anyway, I am looking forward to illustrating it... if they let me, I'll make a sculpture, just because it's such a good opportunity not to have to work in 2D for printing. If I do have to draw an illustration I am slightly miffed that I didn't pick "Filipendulous" instead, which means "hanging from one thread".

Otherwise, the novel is shaping up well, I'll do an hour or so of plotting over lunch... I'm just working on a classic villain bit where someone makes a big show of sending out a message to prove their integrity, and then secretly kill the messenger. The main bit is where in the story it would be most useful to reveal the corpse - as a big shock effect before everyone has realised the guy's a villain, or right towards the end when we already know and it's more of a chilling detail? I'm trying not to kill of too many characters this time, so the ones that do die can do so to greater effect. - I'm hoping to get the plot in place in the next couple of days so I can actually write some more scenes...

2 comments:

Stephanie Roth Sisson said...

I know what you mean about dressing up. I'm getting a little better at it with time...I have been getting some pieces I already own taylored and that has made a world of difference in how I feel in them. One day I would love to have a wardrobe that just works- be able to pull something great out for every occasion...

Viviane Schwarz said...

Yes, that's such a good idea actually... I used to have some dresses that were tailored to fit me, too, and I loved them and people said I was well dressed all the time. I used to wear them to college because they were supercomfy... then one day they were all in the wash and I just put on a T-shirt, and suddenly people were actually talking to me, everyone said hello and chatted... I asked one of my friends if that was because I was wearing a t-shirt and he said yes, definitely and that I looked scary normally, which made me laugh a lot.
So I started collecting T-shirts, and then my butt got bigger, my tailored stuff doesn't fit... but I think I might make an effort and get some more clothes made or changed so I can have comfy occasion clothes! Thanks for reminding me, this will be fun to do! AM already making plans in my head...