Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Delays

So yesterday afternoon I spent a long time at my local train station together with a growing crowd of people also wanting to go toward Croydon... it got colder, and darker, as we waited, and no one was wearing enough to be out past nightfall. I glanced around and saw that people's eyeballs seemed kind of milky and frosted as they looked at the railway clock ticking on. It was quiet. All the train announcement times crawled forward steadily, always a few minutes ahead of the clock, suggesting that trains were slowly overtaking each other somewhere just out of sight, trying to stop each other from getting to us, more trains joining the fray, it must be crawling with trains like centipedes somewhere around Battersea. They had gone wild and forgotten all their training and just bit each others tails in a frenzy, is my guess. Trust British Rail to put feral trains on the tracks without breaking them in properly. Eventually, they cancelled them all, dragging the whole knot off the track I suppose, and started counting minutes again.
A sudden hail storm came down, like someone had slit the bottom of a bag of peas in the sky, and the girl on sitting two seats away from me shivered so much it vibrated everyone on the bench.
And all at once I realised I didn't have to go to Croydon, because I lived only around the corner, and so I had my tickets refunded and bought a big jar of sauerkraut and cooked a thanksgiving meal for the natives. I am glad they are letting me live in their warm friendly house.

Today, I set out again, and I'll take a dummy book on the train, so if it gets stuck due to "weather" (no one ever expects weather, do they) I can at least do some work.

3 comments:

the asherette said...

i stumbled across your blog and fell in love with your knitted cats and illustrations... i hope you don't mind- i linked you to my last post.. keep up the wonderful work:)

Viviane Schwarz said...

Oh hello! Thank you very much!

I think I got tagged already this month, but I'll try and write seven more things... I like your tag things, I've never seen such well illustrated ones! :)

Swati said...

This one was pretty funny to read :) Enjoyed myself - thank you!