Saturday, October 18, 2008

"Teach your Granny to Text"

Here is a book I got in the post this morning:

IMG_1624.JPG

I rather like it!
I used to have a few world-saving manuals as a child. I think they are important, really, because it's good to feel like you have someone on your side when you're starting to think about the world and how best to live in it - because most of the time no one around you quite agrees.
The books I had caused annoyance with my own granny, I remember, who wasn't amused about my sudden passion for water-saving and the like interfering with the household. This book is friendlier, because it also gives you hints on how to keep people so happy that they doesn't mind you turning off taps and radiators and lights all the time, in fact, spreading smiles and happiness is as important here as sorting your rubbish (and rightly so, I think, since it's a whole lot harder to sort your rubbish when you're feeling rubbish yourself). It suggests (with easy instructions) making pizza from scratch as well as writing to the government, and so encourages children to stand up for the kind of world they'd like to grow up in.
So, yeah, good book this! I had a lovely morning reading it for breakfast, and it I spent half as much time as usual in the shower (taking the good advice to do my singing in the rain instead).

2 comments:

Geraldo Maia said...

Hello Viviane,
It is a great pleasure to visit your nice and interesting blog for the first time.
Best wishes from Brazil:
Geraldo

Viviane Schwarz said...

Thank you very much! I appreciate the visit :)