Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Wholesome Thoughts

Ehn...
Just finished my morning exercises. I've been very good doing them, and evening exercises too, for a while.

I don't know if any illustration students are reading this, but there's something I want to tell you guys: when I was in college, many many years ago, almost seven I'd say, studying illustration, we had a course meeting so students could suggest things they wanted to be taught. While everyone else was still thinking, one guy very seriously requested lessons in how to work in an ergonomic way, so as to not knacker our backs. - There was an immediate reaction, a weird hissing sound coming from everywhere: a whole room of illustration students going tsssss dismissively. It wasn't mentioned again. I seem to remember I actually said 'Oh come ON' quietly. What a weirdo.

Some years later, to my utter surprise, I woke up one day to find that I couldn't even draw a circle any more. I'd well and truly messed up my back, shoulders and neck with work and stress and lack of care. It had never before been a problem that my shoulders sloped and my neck stuck out horizontally, tortoise-fashion. All the cool people looked kind of like that, artists and writers, as far as I could tell from the photos. I'd been told "you'll have problems later" but I figured that meant some back-ache at age sixty plus, and then I'd just do some Pilates or something. I didn't expect that I'd be temporarily immobilised before age 30. As soon as the stress of working life hit for real, in fact.

Anyway, all very boring, just to say: if I could go back in time I would have asked for some basic lessons in how to sit and how to work, and what exercises to do to stop myself from curling up into a cramped ball from all that drawing. And if someone just starting out reads this it would make me happy to think that they might decide to get themselves a few exercises and do them as part of the job...

Oh enough of this wholesomeness already! Hooray, I just got a punnet of chocolate mushrooms from the Netherlands, what a nice treat!

No comments: