Monday, September 1, 2008

Scanned some Stuff...

OK... here is my first picture scanned under Ubuntu. I fiddled with it a little bit in Gimp (which comes with Ubuntu), and I can't believe how close to Photoshop this program is so far... in fact, everything works either great or not at all so far. Meaning that every device that is supported works instantly (so far) and every other one... I'm working on it :)



It's nice, no? I had to use my not so good portable scanner because my big expensive one doesn't work yet. Pah.

Oh, these are random doodles from my sketchbook by the way.

4 comments:

John said...

I assume you've found http://www.sane-project.org/

And there's also the possibility you could run something Windows-y in Wine.

But you actually know a lot more about this than me. I'm just being helpful (I know people for whom being accused of helpfulness is rather bad).

Viviane Schwarz said...

:) I know nothing! Thank you for any sort of help!

Well I know just about nothing about Linux, am planning to get a manual. It's still pretty confusing. I mean, I can't believe I spent hours downloading and installing stuff until I realised that I'd forgotten to switch the printer on, and when I did it just set itself up :s

But I SOMEHOW did get the tablet to work, well, I blindly followed some instructions that involved loads of... stuff... and at some point it started working.

NO idea what to do about the scanner yet. I'll keep trying.

I'm fully expecting to have to re-install everything a few times yet, I bet I am shooting holes into the system with my ignorance...

Viviane Schwarz said...

It's an Epson Perfection 4490 by the way, no Sane backend in sight (hey I like that sentence)... I got some Linux drivers off the web but can't make them work... arh.

Viviane Schwarz said...

Might get desperate and try Wine... (I like that sentence too)

Darn it has started crashing every ten minues, why? Why?

Am still enjoying this, mind.