Sunday, September 21, 2008

Playground

Playground Letters

I photographed this thing on a Playground off Shaftesbury Avenue. We had a rest there at lunchtime, it was very quiet, just some pigeons flying low like they were up to something.
I wonder what they imagined children would do with this? I tried to spell something for a while but the best I could do was TIT. I noticed people had replaced some of the letters with marker pens and the like, so I guess they wanted to spell something particular, too, but I just couldn't work out what.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

there are so many B's ! no matter how much i looked i could not make a word either! perhaps it is the language of the sounds children make in playgrounds?
x

Eric Orchard said...

It's how the secret underground organizations of London communicate.
They have a lot of B's in their secret messages.

Viviane Schwarz said...

I've heard of that... It's just one ogranisation really, they actually call it the B Hive.
And the code is based on the secret language of toddlers, who casually chat about the B hive's messages amongst each other and think they are very funny... that's what all that stuff is you sometimes think you remember being hilarious when you were small without remembering what it actually was. Well, if you grew up in London. - I wouldn't know!

Viviane Schwarz said...

I'm glad we worked that out, now I can sleep again.