Thursday, September 4, 2008

Oh, I'm allowed these.

Instead of starting the day at seven with coffee, trying to make my soundcard work without even changing out of my pyjamas (bad) I went for a lovely walk (good) to Toys'r'Us (ah well) and bought the tenth doctor. Now I feel I am allowed to swith the computer back on, but I stuck him on top of the monitor to remind me NOT to try any more fixing until the week-end, because I've got work and such to do.

The tenth doctor inspects my new dual screen setup

And to keep him company I also got one of my favourite Doctor Who villains. I love the way they designed these guys... look:

Sontar

Smooth Warrior... this is how they always come chargin into the story... then they take their helmet off, and... ready...?

Sontar-Ha!

SONTAR-HA! No change in shape!
I love that about Doctor Who, the way that they very seriously consider the character traits of the species when designing them. These guys, for example, have their only weak spot at the back of the neck - so they never turn their backs on an enemy, they just keep charging...
Sometimes the designers take this idea so far that it goes out the other end, like with the guys who carry their brains in their hands and so are incredibly peaceful, because, well, it's not good to start a fight when you got your hands full of your own brains already. Yes.
I always enjoy seeing kids enjoying Doctor Who... it's great that the UK has their own home-produced series to get excited about, it kind of gets a person down if everything entertaining needs importing. When I was small I felt like cool aliens would never land where I lived.
Mind you, this morning the only enthusiast in the same aisle was a dad with a one-year-old-son in a pram, he was buying a whole load of Daleks and such - that's probably the ideal age to go toy shopping with your kid, then you get to keep the toys until they're old enough... at least... :)


I am impressed how detailed they produced this series, I'll be monitoring the bargain bins... am tempted to start a collection. They are only small!

7 comments:

Viviane Schwarz said...

I can't believe how nerdy I've gone in the last few days... feels very relaxing actually, makes me connect back to my teenage self, before I tried to look good in a dress and all that jazz.

Eric Orchard said...

I'm the same way! I'm totally embracing my high school nerd. My friends son just bought 2 Daleks, they are so cool. They're from the Island of Man tho' and I wonder how many Canadian kids are watching Dr. Who. Although CBC(our BBC knock off) shows Dr. Who on Fridays and I think lots of people watch it and I remember episodes from when I was young so it must have been on here.

Viviane Schwarz said...

Aaah, Daleks, they are the best toys of course... we got a battle pack of two remote controlled ones who actually exterminate one another...

Oh, that's exciting! Which one are you on? Ninth or tenth doctor? Must be tenth by now! - I disliked both of them extremely to start with and then they each grew on me... we just finished a season and there won't be any more until Christmas :( wah!

I haven't felt this good in years, I only recently realised I was still carrying remnants of restraint from going to college and trying to impress the boys by completely hiding anything nerdy... in school, I was this bespectacled kid in a tie with short cropped hair who spent all her evenings programming text adventures. I looked so un-girly that I was a bit afraid of public toilets because the ladies sometimes yelled 'wrong, wrong' at me, thinking I was some misguided young lad... not saying that nerdy girls all look like boys, of course, but I think it's a type. - I think my Ex used to find that rather threatening, like I might spontaneously revert one day and make me hideous to him. Very right he was, too :)
Anyway, I find that if I spend all my brain resources trying to not be nerdy I just can't think of any good stories...

Eric Orchard said...

I think we're on 10th-the new season starts here on the 19th of september. I don't think it's like Coronation Street-which were about 6 months behind on.
As for nerdiness, my friend Brad said the other day that my current work looks like the stuff I did before college. He meant it as a compliment and I felt really relieved to hear it1

Viviane Schwarz said...

Helps a lot that I met a whole load of lovely nerds since!

Viviane Schwarz said...

Aw, I think I might start watching the re-runs, now I really do miss the show!

Yes, I think that is a very good compliment actually! One should not forget these things...

Eric Orchard said...

Just sent you super nerdy tor proposal. Tell me if you get it.