Saturday, August 23, 2008

Yawn

Mm, sleepy. I went to town to buy some lino printing stuff and knitted some new sleeves for my favourite jumper on the train, because it is getting colder.
I also bought the album of "MONKEY - Journey to the West", which is the first one since I got a stereo, and I intend to buy more music from now on. Am saving on DVD's since there is a DVD recorder in the house, you see, making use of my TV license, hoovering films out of the air, giving me a budget all of a sudden when I pass the shop.
I love MONKEY in all his incarnations, and am glad to have music for dreaming adventures to.

Also went to see Hellboy Two and really liked as good as everything about it, to my surprise. I kept noticing quotes of all sorts of things I knew and loved, and expected to be annoyed about that, instead I just really felt at home. Quite often I laughed because I was so pleased about something or other. It seemed innocent, and sort of brave that way. And not trying massively hard to be cool. I like that. It made me feel like some eighties fantasy films did, and like later ones just didn't. I believed it, even the daft parts.
No one I know here who's seen it liked it, but I don't mind.
Oh, and someone told me Prince Nuada used to live just round the corner from here!

6 comments:

Eric Orchard said...

Oh good! i really liked it too. I would've paid just to see Nuada and the Troll. so cool.

Viviane Schwarz said...

Yes, they were SO snazzy!
We already bought both the toys and put them on a special shelf all by themselves underneath all the BPRD toys.

By the way, I think the first wave of toys for this film sucks a bit - great disappointment after the AMAZING toys Mezco made for Hellboy I and the comic. Especially Abe - he was the best toy figure I've ever seen, incredibly well produced.
These new guys are chunky and a bit blobby. Which is brilliant for Mr Wink, who is just perfect - I think he's even weighted, he's got rubber spines on his back - and he came with a note offering a more movie-accurate head for him if you send in the barcode (Wow)! And Johan is also great, really. But the rest... well... I'm glad they already made better versions for the last film. (Nuada is ok, took some re-painting though.)

Eric Orchard said...

Very cool! I just finished reading Baltimore by Mignola and Golden and it's AMAZING!!!! You guys have got to read it. Vampires in world war one, retold as the Andersen Steadfast Tin Soldier!! Coolness!!!

Viviane Schwarz said...

The paneling is a bit odd here - as all through really... I used this story to try out what works best.

Viviane Schwarz said...

Oh yes I saw that on your blog and wanted a copy at once! I wish I'd seen that before I went into "Forbidden Planet" on Saturday, grrr, I'll check it out next time I go to town!

Viviane Schwarz said...

I re-read "Strange Places" this morning for breakfast and decided I'll buy the next Hellboy instalment (which is out already I noticed), illustrated by Mignola or not, I want to know what happens next!