Friday, July 4, 2008

My Most Excellent Plan

You know what I feel like?
I feel like making something really nice for myself. I haven't got the time, really, because I am working on three books, but I really feel like I need to be making stuff just for my own enjoyment... at the moment I am just staring at my balcony plants and reading adventure novels instead when I'm not doing my work.
It's not that I don't enjoy the paid work, in fact, it's great. I love it.
It's just that I want to make something really enjoyable that takes lots of time, and then I want to put it on the internet for free for anyone in the world to see it. I don't want to do it to advertise myself or to cleverly try and get it published on paper later. I want to do it because I think making a brilliant thing that takes lots of time just for myself and anyone else who might enjoy it would be like being able to fly.

I'm announcing this now here so people can ask me "how's your brilliant thing going that you'll put on the internet for free?" and I will say "It's going brilliantly, thanks!" and also so that no one needs to ask me "This brilliant thing you're doing there, surely you want to keep it secret so no one will steal your ideas and then you will take it to a publisher so they will give your money for it?"
In fact, if anyone says anything like "you are wasting your time doing this brilliant thing for free instead of pitching it to a publisher" I will ignore that comment and instantly switch the conversation to beans and tomato plants. So if anyone says to you "Viv is being weird, I keep telling her not to waste so much time doing this brilliant thing for free but all she talks about is beans and tomatoes" just tell them that it would be best not to bother me about it any more.

And today I will look at my Long List of most excellent projects that I have been dreaming about over the years and then put away because I thought they'd be too much work and publishers might not like them, and I'll pick one out. It might be a dramatic novel about foxes, an epic choose-your-own adventure, or a comic series about inter-dimensional sheep, an illustrated collection of poems, a podcast of short stories and songs or a Science Fiction adventure featuring Anteaters in Space.

4 comments:

Eric Orchard said...

and then someone will hand you five million pounds for the honour of publishing your masterpiece! I'd do it, you're bubbling with too many ideas and you could blow up otherwise.

Viviane Schwarz said...

I think it needs doing!

Haven't decided which one yet. Must have cup of tea on the balcony to think.

Joe Karg said...

What great work. I would pay ten million pounds to see more of it:)

Ciao,
joe

Viviane Schwarz said...

Yayyy :D

I take PayPal!

Well I hope you'll like it... upcoming shortly.