Monday, June 16, 2008

Awake

It's preposterously early because I woke up at half past two from a dream of hundreds of mice. One of these dreams where I had to yell myself awake as a tide of mice poured over the edges of my bed into the cracks between the floorboards.
Then I was so hungry that I needed to get up and have a pickled egg sandwich at three. After that was still so awake that I read Orwell's "Down and out in Paris and London" until four and then I noticed the dawn, so I climbed out on the balcony and watched the world until five. I wouldn't have thought there were people walking their dogs that early in this street. And I actually watched the beans grow a bit. SO THAT'S when they do it, between four and five in the morning. Lots of pigeons flew down the street, and I watched the street-lights go out. They don't all go out at the same time.

I think it's the coffee I had, a friend visited and brought some freshly ground. I only have one cup of instant a day, and it's instant because in the morning I am incapable of making anything more complicated. So I had some real black coffee in the afternoon.
Hm.

It's odd having all these extra hours now, I wonder if I am awake enough to do anything useful and/or amazing... but all I seem to be able to do is look at things...

No comments: