Monday, May 5, 2008

Toes

For the last two weeks I've tried to track down some of these shoes in my size...



I can't believe how brilliant they seem. I would love to live in a world where everyone goes as barefoot as possible whenever they can. Shoes disturb me. Why do people want hooves when they got toes?
And why stuff like high heels? I understand high heels in a costume context, for short dressed-up events, but why do people shop or work in them for example? It's a total mystery to me. Does it mean "look, I don't have to do any sort of physical labour?" (uh... what's so wonderful about that then?) Or maybe does it say that like birds of paradise, "look, my genes are so good that I can survive even with physical restraints?"
When I was in school, I used to go barefoot everywhere and I only once hurt my foot when I stepped on a bee in a park. I trod on lots of glass and it never cut me because my soles were tough - but now I'm too old to not worry about cutting up my feet, and when I saw these shoes I KNEW I NEEDED THEM!!! I remember barefoot running - the only time I did o.k. at any sports-type thing and enjoyed it... and I remember reading The Hobbit, and thinking THAT'S ABOUT ME! I'm small and I got feel like that!!! Hooray!!!

And now I live in a city and stick my feet into hooves every day to walk over naught but hard flat surfaces, watching other people walk past who obviously have no connection to their feet any more, else they wouldn't torture them like they do. Have you ever really looked at city peoples'feet? Most of them are bent in weird angles at every step. It's depressing.

Anyway it's either long waiting times, huge amounts of money, or both, and generally whenever I find a source they don't have my size... now I am eagle-eyeing ebay... I will have them, I will I will I will.
And one day when I can I will move to a place where I can take them off and walk properly barefoot every day again.

4 comments:

Stephanie Roth said...

I agree about the high heels...I'm completely out my element when I have them on. I don't really know why I have any, but I buy a pair every once in awhile and then never wear them because the idea of wearing them is just waaaay too uncomfortable.

Very cool barefootlike shoes!

MOILProjects said...

A friend has just sent me a link to this article which made me think of your post. You might be interested...
http://nymag.com/health/features/46213/

Viviane Schwarz said...

Hah, Yes thanks! I like that article! That's mostly exactly what I've been thinking.

I remember that being a first point of disagreement with my best friend in school, when one day we were walking around, she had some trainers that were hard to get and I had no shoes at all, and she was thinking for a long time and then said "I think that's the main difference between us, you like to have Hobbit feet because it's practical and I like to look good". And I remember thinking that I couldn't even tell if her shoes looked good or not...
And my first boyfriend, I remember, seemed to have a thing about new shoes, it truly seemed to make him happy to have new shoes.
People say it's by their shoes that you can tell about a person, and they seem to have very detailed thoughts about them - I just miss being able to pick things up with my feet. Makes me feel like I live in a different reality sometimes.

Viviane Schwarz said...

I did like my hiking shoes a lot because they meant I could go hiking but now I read that you can hike in these toe-shoes I'd swap in a second!