Friday, April 11, 2008

Back From The Library

I'm just back from my first visit to the General and Zoological Library of the Natural History Museum - you wouldn't believe what a wonderful place it is!
First I got to go through the back entrance with all the other people who had appointments, and I was collected and led through a maze of stairs and corridors into the actual library, completely avoiding the half-term visitors that made it quite impossible to move about much in the actual museum (as I discovered when I popped out for a bottle of apple-juice for lunch).

I got to look at some pictures I've always wanted to see, huge old books with hand-coloured plates - I photographed some but signed a piece of paper declaring that I wouldn't show them to you (humph) so I won't. One of the books - an illustrated anatomy of the Toucan - was seriously heavy to lift.
I was supplied with gloves and hand-wipes and book-stands and tidily filled in lots of forms and every so often they brought a new treasure I'd requested to my table, and sometimes someone stopped by the table and said "Ooooh lovely pictures!" ... life surely doesn't get much better than this.

And when I came home there was a parcel with two blank dummy-books for the self-same project, so now I'll have a look at my notes and see how to fill those pages.

I think this is the first time I've ever been happy to live in London... just think of all the archives I haven't even seen yet!

3 comments:

alexia anastasiadis said...

I love the look of the plastic bag project!!

Fr√łydis said...

Oh, sounds lovely :)

Viviane Schwarz said...

Hello Alexia, yes you inspired me, I had to try it out! So surprised you can crochet bags with a normal hook, like wool!

Hi Froydis! - you would ahve liked that place a lot I thing, such beautiful books, I almost wanted to ask for a job there!