Monday, February 18, 2008

UnLunDun

I spent the morning in bed with a cold reading UnLunDun by China Mieville - fresh from the library, I'm the first person to be taking out this copy. It's absolutely wonderful! It took a few chapters for me to really love it - so there's a second version of London populated by all the lost and unwanted things from London, hmm, ok - but now I am about halfway through and everything that I didn't much like in the beginning has turned into complete joy. All the bits that I thought were there just because they "looked good" are seriously coming to life.
It's like all the classic children's fantasy I loved as a kid, and some that I only imagined and wished it would materialise in book-form.
I worried it might be a bit long and dragged-out, just from the thickness of the book, but now I think it's epic and generous, with a real sense of building a world. Hooray! So many pages left! Mmmm.

2 comments:

Eric Orchard said...

Amazing drawings on Some Children, you captured so much personality and movement. One of them-the girl carrying the book-reminds me of a Tove Jannson character. I think they have great noses. No body looks at noses any way.
I read China Melvilles first book and it was really good, although the strangeness made my head spin.

Viviane Schwarz said...

Ah, I've not read any of his other books... I think this is his first one for children. I think you'd really enjoy it!

Yes that girl looks a bit like a Mymble on a mission, you're right...
Hm, that particular publisher is particular about noses... they don't like to see the bridge of the nose, that is. So I'm trying to get my "cute" noses just right, because then I feel I can insist on them...