Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Excursion

Enough with the reading in bed... today I got up, had a coffee and a hot bath, packed lots of tissues and took the train to the comic shop. I tried not to sneeze on anyone. Somehow I don't really mind having a cold. I don't really like the sneezing and aching and being stuck in bed, but I find every time I get a cold it transports me back to some special place where I spent every cold I can remember. I dream about all the books I read tucked up in bed, and read some new ones, and I make up stories and worry about nothing. And when I get back up and shuffle around tentatively the world always seems fresh and wonderful, and such a treat... I don't know why, but the experience of having a common cold is the only thing I can think of that is completely consistent in my life. I like that, even if there's nothing else good about it.



Here's who came back from the comic shop. I love this guy...

4 comments:

Eric Orchard said...

Oh, man that's an awesome figure! I've been haunting the comic shop a lot lately. My endless quest to find really good superhero stuff without the T&A. Melville's book is a kid's book? I'm surprised, his other stuff is way out there.

Viviane Schwarz said...

It most definitely is a kids' book, with a fantasy world in need of rescue, and monsters and great deeds... I've read some reviews that said the characters weren't engaging, I think they were written by someone with a very different life from mine. I really recognised some of my childhood friendships in there, real and imagined ones.

Isn't he nice, that guy? And only three quid. I am feeling a bit daft at the moment that I've been walking past a lot of wonderful toys of that sort, vintage and new ones thinking "I don't need these, bah" - especially the exciting looking ultra cheap ones they used to sell in Pound-stretchers, there were some real treasures (not collector-value-wise, just really weird and wonderful little guys). I'll start buying them now whenever I see them.

Eric Orchard said...

My comic shop has a bin of cheap toys, which is awesome. And on a goofy note I've started collecting the Spiderwick toys from MacDonalds. I don't like supporting them, but the toys are 2 bucks each and the real ones aren't available yet. I really want to grab some of those Tin Tin toys but they're super expensive. I ordered Unlundun, by the way. It sounds like the exact type of book I'd love-thanks for the recommendation. Have you read Neil Gaiman's new kid's series?

Viviane Schwarz said...

Oh I think you'll like it... hah one resorts to strange things in toy-collecting at times. I think you'll be happy you got them... So frustrating when one is sensible about a small cheap bit of plastic, leaves it be and then never sees it again.

No, I didn't realise Neil Gaiman had done a new thing for kids, I'll look that up! I did like Coraline...