Sunday, February 3, 2008

Charity Work...

Hah! I have managed to do two of my three tasks for the day... some dread paperwork involving many numbers, and then after eating a plate of fried egg I wrote the story I promised to do for a National Year of Reading project. It should become part of a book that comes out in August (already! That would be the fastest-published thing I ever got involved in). I'm rather pleased with it... I'll put a copy in the box of collected stuff for my future book of collected stuff.

Now all I have lined up for the rest of the day is to draw a big page of hamsters. Will I? Won't I? If I do, they'll go to the Booktrust online illustrators' gallery along with some other pictures...

Tomorrow I'll go to the mac shop and find out if my computer can be upgraded to current industry standard or if I have to get a new one (wouldn't that be exciting) - I've given up on trying to make all-real illustrations (analogue illustrations?) and decided to get a computer set-up that's good enough to take all the hand-made hand-drawn hand-painted goodness I can produce and put it together with minimum fuss... I am spending hours every day faffing with my trusty old laptop anyhow, grumbling about wanting to stop working digitally, grumbling about not being able to make out the colours on screen, and the last two books I did kept a bunch of designers very busy because they had to scan and piece together all the bits of original artwork for me - so I figured: if I feel good about producing non-digital artwork and having it pieced together by other people while I watch and say "left! right! down! blue! delete! no!"... well, I might as well do some of the assembling myself. As long as I still get to have lovely real pieces of artwork, like this here stuff:




The main reason I got cross with the work on "Timothy" was that my scanner and screen weren't good enough to deal with watercolour, so I had to colour everything digitally which I found rather hellish. But hey, hm, watercolour vignettes made into full page illustrations on a big lovely screen, what's not to like?

(I do change my mind about these things all the time... but normally when the decision isn't accompanied by throwing things or mad cackling it's a sound one. Getting a decent computer work station together... seems very sensible. Yes.)

2 comments:

Stephanie Roth said...

The pigs are fun- they look like a bit of a departure from what I've seen you do before. Are these for a project?

Viviane Schwarz said...

Yes, a friend is writing me a story to illustrate (very exciting).

Hmm, I think they look more like the stuff I used to do before I got all that trouble with my arms and back, I had to loosen up my style an awful lot, and I haven't done watercolour in ages... they are not quite how I mean them to be for the actual thing, I kind of want to go back to what I used to be able to do but incorporate what I've learnt by nor being able to do it... aehm... yes... something like that!