Monday, January 21, 2008

Natural History Museum

Aaaah, what a majestic place!
I mainly wanted to draw this guy for a few pages.



So after that I wandered around and looked at all my favourite things and found new ones. I had not realised that they'd opened an all-new gallery of geological treasures! So I looked at a piece of the moon that fell to earth, and a piece of Mars... the crystal box mystery from the Virtuous Lady mine in Devon... poppy jasper, riband jasper, and white jasper with dendritic pyrolusite and quarz... Woodwardite with undulating green crust from Cornwall... and of course, besides, a blue whale, many hummingbirds, a fossilised tree-trunk and a slice of a tree that was 1335 years old when twelve people cut it down, and a skeleton of a sloth the size of a shed... it almost made me cry because it was all so brilliant, so I went to look at the animatronic T-Rex to get back to the real world.

3 comments:

Eric Orchard said...

it says not what on the label?

Viviane Schwarz said...

Oh... "not threatened"!

I also should have said that the blue whale is a full scale model... but all the rest is real! So amazing...

Stephanie Roth said...

HA! I love that expression- perfect.