Thursday, August 30, 2007

Working hard

Yesterday I had one of these dreadful days where I spend a whole day thinking up a new colouring technique and trying it out and ending up with something by dinner-time that looks profoundly awful and wrong and makes me hide hy head under a pillow. Luckily I've done that many times before, so I wasn't cross for too long, and I spent half the night thinking of better ways. - I think there's no way around the fact that I can't make pictures I like unless I do the tone first and then the line, and so any attempt of doing line drawings and then colouring them in any way is doomed... Now I'm trying colouring in tonal drawings and also putting down the colour first and then adding line (that would be ideal, but a problem with backgrounds). Ah well, don't expect sense out of me for a few days.

2 comments:

Stephanie Roth said...

It's incredible to me that that's how you work! The pressure to get that line right and to keep it spontaneous! Damn! Hats off to you!

Viviane Schwarz said...

MMh... I don't seem to be able to do it the other way round (line, then tone) without bucketloads of stress. My favourite way of drawing things is onto shapes that are already there, like pebbles or tea-stains... if it's just a blank page and line I can't keep the picture together at all. So I need to block in the basic shapes before I ink anything. - The "Timothy" book was done in line and then coloured and I got mightily stressed! - I have big respect for anyone who can imagine colouring and shading when they do their linework.